Real world applications of technologies to today's business challenges
On Tuesday 28th June 2016 Capita IT Resourcing hosted a Data Science & Analytics event in central London. Our host Neil Mackin (Analytics Director at Capita) welcomed four data science experts to the panel of speakers who presented to our audience consisting of data scientists and analytics professionals.
The presentations gave a fascinating insight into what is happening in the quickly developing world of data science. In particular
our speakers covered:
- Muhammad Awais (Cortexica), gave an overview of visual search and the challenge that deep learning presents to traditional classification methods.
- Richard Pugh (Mango Solutions), gave insight into how to successfully build an enterprise analytics practice.
- Jim Hodgkins (VisualDNA), discussed the science behind future advertising by fusing data and psychology.
- Eric Tyree (Capita Employee Benefits), explained the importance of seeing operational data as a gold mine and developing sustainable business models.
A lively and interesting Q&A panel session took place after the presentation facilitated by Neil Mackin with a number of questions posed to the panel including:
what is next for the data science industry through to how to hire the best data science talent.
Key points from the evening included:
- The role of the CDO is getting ever more important as data science roles become more prominent in businesses – not just as a management role but as a champion within the business of the value and efficiencies data science brings.
- A data driven culture will continue to drive efficiencies, and as the cost of producing and processing data continues to become cheaper, driving up demand for data science roles as a consequence.
- Creativity is an essential trait to look for when hiring for data science roles, but it shouldn’t be the only defining characteristic – it is better to build a great team that brings all the facets of the role together rather than looking for a unicorn with all the ideal traits.
“Encouraging to see strong business focused presentations on how to realise benefit from data analysis” (Neil Mackin, Capita
If you would like to find out more about Data Science and how Capita IT Resourcing can help you contact email@example.com or call 0207 397 6239
To register a vacancy click here.
Find out how Capita have used data analytics to transform the way their customers do business here.